June 8, 2007

Top 10

There are many mornings when I wake up and wonder what it is I am doing and accomplishing here. While there are frustrations, there are also things that I cannot imagine living without that I have discovered during our time in Salacuim. Each day makes me appreciate the little things.
A common first reaction when visiting a third world country or a very poor area tends to be focused on the surface ugliness. Whether it be the extreme poverty, trash everywhere or lack of hygiene practices. It takes a long time to see beyond what we are trained to see as beautiful. I think I have reached the point where I can look beyond the surface and see what lies beneath. An enormous amount of potential and one amazingly BEAUTIFUL place.

my top 10 of Salacuim ...
sonia park DSC03659
hugo river jungle shower ride
pina mainstreet hammock2
the faces, laguna lachuá national park, time together, at your door service, chixoy river,
jungle shower, the ride, fresh pineapple, main street, hammocks

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I love the photos! So nice to look at the river when I'm at work without a window in sight.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures with a beautiful introduction, thanks for sharing your experience.